New Street (view 25) (Dog and Gun)
This rare old photograph shows the Dog and Gun public house, located at 58 New Street, typical of the late Victorian and Edwardian pubs that served this working class area of Barnsley. The licensee appears to be Stephen Denton who was there from 1894 to 1912, a fairly long stint. Perhaps that is Stephen at the entrance, sporing his straw hat, suited and standing with his wife. Children in the photograph add interest to the composition. The large window to the right may have served for outsales. The pub name relates to the tradional sport of shooting for gamebirds, especially pheasants.
File Number: EGT794