Sheffield Road (East side) : Victoria Hotel
The Victoria certainly contrasted architecturally with its neighbour across the road, being 3-storey and all stone fronted. The Coach & Horses had been revamped with 'mock-Tudor' timberwork and matching gables, making a statement across the main road. The Victoria had accommodation facilities in keeping with its hotel name. Both commanded popular sites at the busy junction. The Victoria was the more modern, purpose-built from about 1868, its rounded windows quite graceful in appearance from the roads.
File Number: EGT1436