Dodworth Road (south side) : 36 : Marlborough Hotel
At the corner with Lancaster Street was the Marlborough Hotel, a 'Barnsley Brewery' house, a traditional late Victorian pub in a terrace of properties. In 1966 when this photograph was taken the publican was Arthur Chivers. The Boy and Barrel occupied the same premisses/site from 1852-1895. The Marlborough, a rather grand name, was used in reverence to the Duke (or dukes) of Marlborough, and their Churchill family associations.
File Number: EGT417