Peel Square (5) : South side : Old Royal Oak (view 1)
The old Royal Oak stood at the south side of the Square opposite the head of the hackney carriage station (late public toilets). Its last licensee was James Axon in 1901. A John Winter was one of the first known hosts back in 1822. The building is shown here in a poor state of repair, probably not long before demolition, the walls plastered with posters, an ominous sign of neglect and abandonment.
File Number: EGT1018