Market Hill: Coach & Horses & Yorkshire Penny Bank
The bottom of Market Hill, at the junction with Eldon Street and Peel Street/Square was always a busy area. This c.1905 image features part of the Coach and Horses Hotel, on the left and the Yorkshire Penny Bank, far right. The bank was new, opened in 1903. The Hotel corner was a place that was always popular to meet and chat, as can be clearly seen. The Hotel building dates from 1857, replacing an earlier structure but was converted into a bank (National Westminster) in about 1912. The approaching horse and cart adds interest to the scene, as does the cyclist.
File Number: EGT645