Sheffield Road (West side) : Spotted Leopard (pub)
Adjacent to Buckley Street, the Spotted Leopard pub was a Barnsley Brewery house for many years, as can be seen in this image, 'Oakwell Ales' prominent at the street gable end of the building. James Shaw appears to have held its first licence from about 1880 and Frank Colley was the last landlord in the late 1960s. The Mills family, namely Charles and Arthur and William were regular hosts from 1911 to 1963; and they succeeded the Bulls, Allen, Sam and Cuthbert, who were in charge from 1896. This establishment was a typical small community-style pub serving a local trade from a property not much different to adjoining houses. It was another Barnsley pub with a very distinctive and somewhat exotic name.
File Number: EGT1382