Cheapside: Duke of York Hotel 1960s
The Duke of York stood on the corner of Cheapside and New Street and had a distinctive curved frontage. Patrick Cummins was its last publican in 1966. The building was demolioshed three years later, its origins traced by Ted Tasker back to 1822. The elephant was a brewery sign. Note the policeman at the busy May Day Green junction.
File Number: EGT139