Wellington Street (east side) : Corner Pin Inn and shops
Number 2 Wellington Street, the Corner Pin public house, extended to 4-5 bays and two storeys. The arched entrance led to a paper merchant's, J.R.Thresh. Shops also in view in this c.1960 image: hairdressers T.Simpson (4) and Eric Banks's confectionery (6 & 8) (1932-1982). The latter was very popular on 'theatre' and 'bingo' nights, across from the Theatre Royale. 'Corner Pin' is a not uncommon pub name but one that dates back many years, relating to the game of skittles and its variants.
File Number: EGT1571